Family Breakfast at Kono's

Family Breakfast at Kono's
Family Fun

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Last Days




As mentioned before mom looked great and didn't look like anything was wrong. It was getting harder for her to breath. On Wednesday October 29th I had a hard time getting mom a wake. She was sleeping a bit more. She came out for a little breakfast. Dayna was here with me. Mom was talking about wired stuff and wanted to see her friend Charlotte. So I went to pick her up in the afternoon and the two of them were like two girls at a slumber party. They talked into the night. Charlotte was able to get mom to eat some applesauce. I guess during the night mom had a hard time getting up to go to the bathroom so we had the cam ode by her bed but that was hard for her too. We put a diaper on her as a precaution. The next morning mom tried to get up to go to the bathroom and she couldn't. We didn't have strength to help her. I told her to just go in the diaper. She cried. She didn't want to go in the diaper. We called the Hospice nurse and she came to evaluate mom. She told us she was dying. I couldn't believe it. She was just OK the day before. It happened so fast. They took mom back to the hospice facility. We called all family members as they didn't think she would make it though the night. I called Melissa to see if she could get out here. One thing mom wanted more than anything was to see Chelsea her Great grand baby. As we stayed by mom's side Melissa and Chelsea got on a plane and came to the hospital. At about 7 pm the nurse who was leaving her shift came in to say goodbye. She said she couldn't believe mom was still with us. She said " She must be waiting for someone?" I told her she was waiting for her great grand baby. Mom was pretty much out of it the whole time. Melissa and Chelsea got to the hospital about 9 pm. We told mom baby Chelsea was there and laid Chelsea by her side. I know mom knew Chelsea was there. She had a slight smile on her face. I was so grate full to the Lord for letting her see her grand baby. We also didn't want mom to die on Jeff's birthday. We kept telling her she needed to wait till midnight so it wouldn't be Jeff's birthday. Everyone left and Dayna and I stayed the night. Mom was out of it, mumbling every once in a while. We had to suction out her mouth as she kept foaming. Dayna and tried to sleep taking turns watching over mom. About 5:30 am I looked at mom and she looked so peaceful so I told Dayna we should go home and get some rest. We told mom good bye and we would be back. We got a call at about 11 am saying mom passed away. I just lost it. I wanted to be there for her. When we got to hospice we were so upset we were not there when mom died. They nurse on call said a lot of the time the person waits for the family to leave to pass. That brought some comfort. We were able to say our good byes. She looked as though she were just sleeping... very peaceful.






1 comment:

Brad and Mo Petersen said...

We are all glad that Chelsea and I made it on time to say goodbye. I'm glad I have some pictures with Chelsea and her great grandmother.

St. George Trip

Greg's Graduation